10,000 unique collectible characters with proof of ownership stored on the Ethereum blockchain. The project that inspired the modern CryptoArt movement. Selected press and appearances include Mashable, CNBC, The Financial Times, Bloomberg, MarketWatch, The Paris Review, Salon, The Outline, BreakerMag, Christie's of London, Art|Basel, The PBS NewsHour, The New York Times in 2018 and again in 2021. The Cryptopunks are one of the earliest examples of a "Non-Fungible Token" on Ethereum, and were inspiration for the ERC-721 standard that powers most digital art and collectibles.
The CryptoPunks are 10,000 uniquely generated characters. No two are exactly alike, and each one of them can be officially owned by a single person on the Ethereum blockchain. Originally, they could be claimed for free by anybody with an Ethereum wallet, but all 10,000 were quickly claimed. Now they must be purchased from someone via the marketplace that's also embedded in the blockchain. Via this market you can buy, bid on, and offer punks for sale. Below, you'll find information about the status of each Punk in the market. Punks with a blue background are not for sale and have no current bids. Punks with a red background are available for sale by their owner. Finally, punks with a purple background have an active bid on them.
See the marketplace instructions below to acquire your very own punk. You should also join the Discord Chat, which includes a bot that announces all bids, offers and sales in realtime.
61.97 ETH ($108,198.38 USD)
See all top sales
Updated 10 seconds ago
The lowest price punk currently for sale is 61.97 ETH ($108,198.38 USD).
Showing most recent offers, click here to see all 983.
The average bid over the last year was 87.44 ETH ($152,676.82 USD).
The average currently open bid is 3.44 ETH ($6,008.94 USD).
Total value of all current bids is 2,027.09 ETH ($3,539,264.63 USD).
Showing most recent bids, click here to see all 589.
The average sale price of a punk over the last year is 354.32 ETH ($618,644.22 USD).
The total value of punks sold over the last year is 232,345.96 ETH ($405,671,389.06 USD).
Showing most recent sales, click here to see all 23,632.
774 punks are "wrapped" for sale on ERC-721 markets, see wrappedpunks.com for more details.
Showing by punk number, click here to see all wrapped punks or view them on OpenSea.
What is a CryptoPunk?
The CryptoPunks are 24x24 pixel art images, generated algorithmically. Most are punky-looking guys and girls, but there are a few rarer types mixed in: Apes, Zombies and even the odd Alien. Every punk has their own profile page that shows their attributes as well as their ownership/for-sale status (here's an example).
What exactly is going on here?
Cryptocurrency was made famous by Bitcoin, but Bitcoin is designed just to transact and store ownership of Bitcoin itself. We are using a successor to Bitcoin called Ethereum which allows for arbitrary computer code to be executed on the blockchain and the results of the execution to be stored forever. This is pretty cool! Normally code is run on a server somewhere and you basically need to trust the person running the server. Ethereum lets everyone execute the code, show each other what result they got, and agree that the code was executed properly and fairly.
We have written code that lives on the blockchain that anyone can use to buy and sell Punks with anyone else in the world. An interesting aspect of this system is that we no longer have any control over the code running CryptoPunks! Once we released it onto the blockchain it became permanently embedded there and can no longer be modified by anyone. This is scary for us as developers because we worry about bugs, but it is also a very powerful feature of the system. It allows a user verify that there are indeed only 10,000 punks, check that we can't steal them from you, and basically make sure that everything we told you about the code is true.
How do I get a Punk?
- Download and install a Chrome browser plugin called MetaMask. This will allow websites (that you authorize) access to your Ethereum account.
- If you made a new account, buy some Ether. The MetaMask plugin has a button that will allow you to buy Ether from Coinbase.
- Once you have the plugin installed, this website will recognize it and add buttons that allow you to bid on, buy and sell punks directly in the interface.
- For example, you can buy Punk #5455 for 61.97 ETH ($108,198.38 USD).
Details and FAQ
- Where are the images for the punks stored?
- When originally released, the actual images of the punks were too large to store on the blockchain, so we took a hash of the composite image of all the punks and embeded it into the contract. You can verify that the punks being managed by the Ethereum contract are the True Official Genuine CryptoPunks™ by calculating an SHA256 hash on the cryptopunks image and comparing it to the hash stored in the contract.
- Since then, due to some clever compression ideas and some help from friends of the punks we have managed to put the entire image and attribute data fully on chain. You can read more about the mechanisms and details of the process in the announcement blog post.
- Are the punks an ERC-721 token?
- No. The CryptoPunks pre-date the ERC-721 standard and are a custom contract, that means it doesn't comply with any standards. They are almost an ERC20 token. We support the methods that provide your balance so you can watch CryptoPunks as a token in your wallet and see how many you own. None of the other methods are the same since you're not transferring a simple balance, but need to reference which specific Punk you want to work with.
- Where does the market data on this site come from?
- The prices, bids and sales you see on this site are loaded from the Cryptopunks contract on the Ethereum blockchain. Because the Cryptopunks pre-date the ERC-721 standard (and all third party NFT marketplaces) we also needed to write a market so the punks could be transacted. We have no control over the contract governing this market, and have no access to any additional data beyond what the blockchain provides. In fact anyone else could write a web front end for it.
- Do you charge any fees for transactions?
- No. We charge no fees for Cryptopunks transacted through the built-in market beyond the ones charged by Ethereum (gas).
- The contract source and more technical details are available on Github.